Sometimes people really want things that don’t belong to them, and your business faces numerous types of theft. There are various threats out there, but by being aware of them and taking steps to lower your risk you can protect your business from theft. We’ll go over four types of crime that businesses face and offer tips to help you prevent them.
Protect your business from burglary:
Burglars are extremely crafty, which means that you need to be craftier to foil their efforts. Protecting your business from burglary takes some planning, but it’s important to do – burglary can be disastrous for business. To keep unwanted thieves out of your building, check out the following tips.
- Make sure you have plenty of interior and exterior lighting, especially around any entrances.
- Keep your trees and bushes trimmed. By doing so, you eliminate hiding places for any would-be burglars.
- Have a monitored alarm system installed, along with security cameras. A commercial security system can be a deterrent to thieves.
- Secure your windows with shatter-proof glass and strong window locks.
- Have strong doors installed, preferably ones made of steel.
- Get a fence around the perimeter of your business.
- Have a safe for valuables. The safe should be hidden and secured to the ground.
Protect your business from robbery:
The concept of robbery is terrifying. It’s something that every business owner hopes fervently won’t happen to their business and their employees. To try to keep everyone – employees and customers both – safe in the event of a robbery, try the following tips:
- Spend time training your employees about robbery and what to do if the business is ever robbed. Stress that their lives are the important thing, not the money.
- Get in touch with your local police department for help with creating a training plan. They will most likely have some good advice for you and can give suggestions for training and robbery prevention.
- Don’t keep large amounts of cash in the register. You can post signs that state clearly that the register is emptied regularly to discourage robbers.
- Have a safe that’s hidden.
Protect your business from employee theft:
Unfortunately, employee theft is more common than we might like to think. Even small businesses are at-risk for employee theft – it’s not just large corporations. That’s why it’s important to be aware of the possibility and protect your business from employee theft. Try the following tips:
- Have video cameras installed.
- Keep an eye on your finances and bookkeeping.
- Do inventory frequently.
- Create a return and void procedure.
- Foster positive relationships with your employees and encourage a happy, pleasant workplace atmosphere.
Protect your business from cybercrime and identity theft:
Data breaches and cyber risks are becoming more and more serious for businesses. If a hacker steals the personal identifying information of your clients, your business could be in big trouble. Check out the following tips to prevent a data breach and reduce your business’s cyber risks:
- Have a firewall on your computers to repel unwanted visitors.
- Get anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
- Educate your employees about cybersecurity.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi network is secure.
- Protect computers with strong passwords.
- Consider getting cyber liability insurance.
Burglary, robbery, employee theft, and identity theft are very real possibilities for businesses. We hope that you never have to deal with any of these devastating losses, but nonetheless, it’s important for you to be prepared and to take steps to protect your business from these various forms of theft.
Another way to protect your business is with business insurance. It’s important to have enough insurance to fully protect your business from all of your risks, and our team of commercial insurance agents can help you identify your risks and get the coverage you need to protect your company from them. All you have to do to get business insurance quotes is fill out our quick online form or give us a call today.